Photos & text by Sarah ‘Ajour, Food Writer
Let’s indulge in rich, creamy and decadent homemade ice cream now that the summer months are upon us. The smooth texture and light taste are a delight on the tastebuds. What’s fantastic about this ice cream is that it does not require churning – simply whisk, freeze, serve and enjoy.
My first encounter with olive oil ice cream (yes, I know it does sound a little unconventional) was on a family holiday to Muscat a few years back. Sitting on a balcony overlooking Muscat Harbour and Souq Mattrah, we watched the sunset while rounding off our traditional Omani dinner with a serving of this wonderful ice cream. It was a refreshing and welcome break from the summer heat. I can still recall the taste, even now, and this was my fusion inspiration this month for a summer’s treat.
Olive Oil Ice Cream
(Makes about 800ml of ice cream)
1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin olive oil gives a stronger flavour)
200ml condensed milk
300ml whipping cream
Sprinkle of green food colouring
- In a bowl, whisk the cream until it’s fluffy
- Add the condensed milk, olive oil and a sprinkle of green food colouring (look to achieve a pale green colour)
- Continue whisking until firm or the cream is double in volume, light and fluffy. Take care not to over whisk the cream; otherwise, it will separate
- Spoon gently into a freezer tight-fitting container and place in the freezer for about four to six hours
- To serve, let stand at room temperature for five minutes so that the ice cream softens
You can contact Sarah’ Ajour at email@example.com